Thursday, April 30, 2015

Why I am Sad Today

In my heart I want to write a long post explaining how I feel about Baltimore and the response to it.  But, to be honest, I can't express it very well.  In addition  to the obvious things that would make me sad or upset about it, the part that probably troubles me the most is when Christians look at the situation and, like the Pharisee, think:

Lord, I thank you that I am not like other people  (Luke 18:11)

It is too easy to look at situation and say "well, I see people doing something illegal" and then we turn our attention away.  Or, maybe we just can't relate because bigger cities and darker skinned people are just too far removed from us that we start judging, condemning or proclaiming our fix for their reality.  We should be like the second man that Jesus praised who said:

God, be merciful to me a sinner (Luke 18:13)

The question I am really asking - Which person am I today?  

No comments:

Post a Comment