Thursday, October 2, 2014

Dwelling Appropriately

by Laura Forehand (2011)

Philippians 4:8:
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."
The world says "white lies are okay"; God's Word says "Whatever is true...". The world allows for offensive language; God's Word says "Whatever is noble...". The world says cheating is part of life - just don't get caught; God's Word says "Whatever is right...". The world allows for unpure thoughts to fill your mind; God's Word says "Whatever is pure..." The world displays horrible ways of treating one another; God's Word says "Whatever is lovely..." The world endorses acting mean; God's Word says "Whatever is admirable..." The world says get by doing as little as possible; God's Word says "Whatever is excellent..." The world says make yourself look good in the eyes of others; God's Word says "Whatever is praiseworthy..." (Cindy M. Bradley; 365 Meditations for Teachers by Teachers)
It is funny how I can immediately single out others who fall into the worldly category of each of the above. This morning, however, I am reflective more and more with how worldly I can be at times; how often I can justify a harsh word or impure thought. God never said "When in Rome..." Just because I am 'in' this world, I am not to be 'of' this world. Because Christ lives in me, I am to be set apart; I need to live my life differently. I am called to live Phillipians 4:8.
And nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment