Saturday, April 20, 2013

Inviting God

I will never forget where I was when I heard the Twin Towers were under attack in New York City on September 11, 2001.  I was mindlessly driving to work in Auburn, Nebraska when the radio DJ announced the attack.  My heart sank and I became physically sick to my stomach.  How could this be?Fear welled up inside me.  I cried out to God for my husband and children.  Could this happen here in the Midwest?  Our Country become united, brother and sister helping each other; praying for each other.  We let God be a part of our Country.  It was moving and beautiful and I won't soon forget it.  Then, after years of searching, those responsible were brought to justice! And we sang "I'm proud to be an American" and "God Bless the U.S.A."  We cheered when the evil powers that be were killed.

I will never forget the afternoon of Monday, April 15, 2013 as I walked my sweet first graders to the bus and a fellow teacher said "Did you hear about the bombing at the Boston Marathon?"  I was shocked.  It felt like I was in a dream.  Again? This is happening again?  I immediate looked to God for answers.  I began to intercede to Him requesting for healing for the victims and their families.  I saw our Nation gather around the city of Boston as only we Americans can do for one another.  We once again invited God to be a part of our healing process.  I will always remember sitting on my couch last night as I listened to the news reporters tell the world "He has been captured".  Immediately there was rejoicing in the streets around our country.  Songs of praise to the U.S.A. could once again be heard.

But, how long will it be until we grow silent to the God of our Universe?  How long before we stop praying for our police officers as they leave their families every night to protect us? How long before we stop lifting up our military personal for ensuring the freedoms we all take for granted? How long before we stop being kind to one another?  Or stop helping one another?  How long before we just go about our daily lives?

How long before we just all... forget?

I feel like in the midst of tragedy, we are prostrate at the throne of God.  But, where are we in the good times?  Is God still invited to be part of our country everyday, in every way, when there are no bombs going off?

I know in my own life I am completely guilty of this.  As long as things are calm and going "my way", it is easy to forget to invite God into my day.  To forget to allow Him to order my steps.  Then tragedy strikes and comes crashing into my world.  Then, I am on my knees, crying out to the Father for answers; for a way out; for ME to be spared.  As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am called to be different, but I am not much different from the world, am I?

This last week has been sobering for me for sure.  This isn't a bash on me or our Country, but rather a moment to open my eyes and see myself for what and where I am.  I AM proud to be an American and do pray God blesses the U.S.A.  I just feel we need to change and God absolutely HAS to be invited into our lives every single day!  I can't change the world; that is a daunting task, to be sure.  I can, however, let the Holy Spirit change me.  I do believe that is what this is all about... God working on ME.  I am not to be of this world (and neither are you).  That means I need to do something different.

Praying God continues to journey with me and whether there be good times or tragic times, I will call upon the name of the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome sweetie! Everyone should read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well-said, Laura. Karl was right, this is awesome and so true. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete