I'm looking for the source of this thought. I believe it was from a sports coach where many of life's greatest metaphors and lessons come from. But, here it is in a nutshell.
Any time we are in a position of responsiblity or authority, the temptation is to do things that will make people like us. Everyone wants to be liked. Avoid pain, find pleasure and all that.. But when we do that, we are often doing exactly the wrong thing just to make people happy. In the long run, they don't like us or respect us because we didn't do the best thing.
We need to do the things that are the best things, even when people don't like us for doing it. This will eventually lead to admiration and respect and the quote said, "eventually they will like you for all the right reasons."
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs a teacher, I struggled with this so much when I first started teaching. I have learned to put my student's first. Sometimes that means I am going to be called all sorts of names or get unfriendly notes from parents. I won't lie, it hurts. I want to scream "I love your child and want them to be ready for the world one day!!" Sometimes it is hard for parents to see that when they are only 6 or 7, but each year they are in school builds on the previous one and more will be expected of them in 2nd grade. I like to think that I treat my students like I would my own children. To that I say, look at my children!! They are pretty remarkable!! All thanks to the redeeming love of God and not of my own doing!!
ReplyDeleteWhen I look back at my career one day, I pray I have made a difference, but not with the parents... with the lives and hearts of the children God has entrusted to me.